If you followed my social media snaps a few weeks back, you’ll remember Malick and I spent an amazing four nights at the fairly new Radisson RED Hotel in the Silo District in Cape Town. I was booked on quite a few shoots in the city that week, and since I live in the southern suburbs, I really didn’t want to drive into town every single day, sit in the traffic etc. Other than that, do I really need a good excuse to stay in an amazing hotel with the most incredible view in the beautiful city I get to call home?!
Bringing together elements of fashion, music and art together, Radisson RED is not at all your typical hotel; they really did think of absolutely every guest need when putting this hotel together a couple of months ago! Designed with the millenial in mind, check out my ten reasons to stay at this amazing hotel below!
- The hotel understands practical technological convenience. Aside from high speed, free, uncapped wifi, the hotel features USB ports where you need them most; at your bedside and right by your breakfast table, making it super easy to charge your tech (I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve had to resort to charging my cellphone in the back of the TV when staying at other hotels!). We stayed in a family room which sleeps four, and the room had THREE TV’s; one for the parents and one for each kid, with their own bedside headphone jacks so everyone gets their pick without disturbance. Then lastly, my absolute favourite thing was the ring light around the bathroom mirror, allowing for perfect make-up application.
- The hotel has its own app. You can use it to check in/out, you can use it to access your room instead of using a key card, you can use it to order food and to message the staff directly if you need help or anything sent up to your room.
- The best all-day, uncapped breakfast. The hotel doesn’t believe in wasting food and therefore doesn’t have a huge buffet spread. Instead, as long as breakfast is included in your room rate, you can order as many plates of food as you would like off the menu without a limit, and since there’s no buffet, there’s no cut-off time so you can come and claim your breakfast at any time of the day (perfect for late-sleepers and brunchers!). There is also a deli offering breakfast on the go where you can pack yourself a box should you need to leave early (this was so perfect for the days where I had 6am call times). Oh, and they are SO GENEROUS with avocado, it’s unreal!
- It’s in the most perfect location imaginable. Based in the new Silo District, the hotel is in brief walking distance of the V&A Waterfront mall, other restaurants, the Zeitz MOCAA museum and has the most breathtaking views of the city and Table Mountain.
- The room design is as cool as it is convenient. I loved that there was luggage storage space under the bed, and overall the rooms are all chic, modern studios. The bed was as wonderfully comfortable as one would expect.
- The rooms have proper blackout curtains! The electronically-operated blinds are so shockingly effective at darkening a room, that by day three, when I gave myself the morning to sleep in, I was annoyed because I woke up naturally, and it seemed like it was 3am because everything was dark. Except I checked my phone and saw it was actually 10:30am and I’d slept for 11 hours!
- The hotel is dog and cat friendly. They have designated rooms that allow owners to bring their pets along, and the hotel treats them like VIP’s with their own beds and other spoils. I’m seriously considering taking Milan along with us next time!
- The rooftop bar and pool area is one of the most popular hangout spots in the city with amazing views and food. So if you’re staying over and looking for a cool vibe, on most nights in the summer, you need only take the elevator up!
- There is a gym on site. And it’s open 24 hours.
- The staff are so kind and so helpful. A fun fact about Radisson RED staff is that they don’t get interviewed for the job, they have to audition. It really shows in their service – everyone has a fun, bubbly personality and they make you feel like a rockstar.
Thank you to the amazing team at RED for hosting myself and Malick. While our stay was complimentary, all views are sincerely my own. After all, wifi, all-day breakfast (with amazing flapjacks), endless avocados, comfy beds and nice people are the way to my heart!
You can book your stay at Radisson RED and see more images etc of the hotel here.